On April 18/12 an officer from the plain-clothed OPP ‘Provincial Liaison Team’ sent me an email politely inquiring as to what day we would be holding our planned march onto the Douglas Creek Estates in Caledonia. Gary McHale had refused to disclose the information, and she was hoping I would. I wrote back to her on April 19 explaining why I would not do so. The email is below. But, before we get there…
Mark Vandermaas – arrested for being the victim of an assault by a native radical
Keep in mind while reading my message to her that just two days later, on April 21/12, she and her OPP partner (wearing blue/black jackets in photo below) would watch a native occupier (red hat, sunglasses, dark coat) chase after me and assault me by blocking my path and chest-butting me as I carried a sign saying ‘HEALING BEGINS WITH APOLOGIES.’
They would say nothing while I, the victim, was then arrested for ‘breaching the peace’ and placed in a paddy wagon for two hours without water or a bathroom with my hands cuffed behind my back. You can tell from the expression on my face that even after 5 years of this nonsense I couldn’t believe the OPP made this oh-so-obvious race-based arrest (neither could Al Gretzky of the International Free Press Society who had made the trip to London to support the protest). On my way to the paddy wagon I asked the officers how they could bear to even look at themselves in the mirror in the morning:
After having arrested his victim, the OPP deal firmly with the man who assaulted me by…allowing him to go back to drinking his coffee:
As a trivia note, the man who assaulted me is the same man tearing apart a Canadian flag in this photo from the earlier days of Caledonia’s shameful history of victimization. Note his Mohawk Warriors hat. He also has a history of violence and intimidation in Caledonia. Is it any wonder the OPP decided to arrest me rather than him?
Jeff Parkinson – arrested for asking how to obtain OPP officers’ badge numbers
CANACE’s videographer Jeff Parkinson was arrested shortly after me for daring to ask the OPP site commander how he could get officers’ badge numbers.
Sadly, I only wish I was making all this up. Watch the videos here:
- JeffParkinson.ca, April 24/12: Video – Two arrested for race in Caledonia
Ironically, just 2 days later I participated in the candle lighting ceremony at the 2012 National Holocaust Remembrance Ceremony in Ottawa by the Canadian Society for Yad Vashem as an honour for bringing a busload of people to the event:
- IsraelTruthWeek.org, April 26/12: Israel Truth Week friends travel to National Holocaust Remembrance ceremony in Ottawa
- The Sachem, May 01/12: DCE activist arrested in Caledonia, honoured in Ottawa (submitted by Gary McHale)
On April 24/12, 5 days after I sent the email below to this officer, the OPP did something they had not done in a very long time; they charged several of the native occupiers who had assaulted OPP officers on Feb 18/12 during our historic march onto DCE.
This fact will become relevant as you read on…
VANDERMAAS LETTER TO OPP PROVINCIAL LIAISON TEAM RE PLANNED CANACE/CALEDONIA VICTIMS PROJECT MARCH ONTO DCE
Dear Officer XXXXX,
Thanks for the inquiry; I appreciate your respectful tone so, in that spirit here are my thoughts. They are not directed at you personally, but rather the OPP. Please keep in mind that I have no fiduciary relationship with Gary so I cannot speak for him:
1. Gary is the primary organizer of the rally and I am cooperating with him. If he wants to share information with you that is up to him.
3. As a former member of the Cdn Forces who was taught that I have a duty to disobey illegal orders I have been very critical of the willingness of individual officers to continually obey orders to conduct racial policing. I am not unmindful, however, of the fact that Karl Walsh, by virtue of his cooperation and candor with Christie Blatchford in confirming its existence, redeemed (in a sense) his officers to a degree. I am not unmindful of the fact that officers did effect an historical arrest on DCE during our last visit when you were present.
But, I am also mindful that you are still very much enforcing arrest-by-race policies. When faced with the choice of arresting native people who assaulted us and assaulted your officers, you made a wilful choice to arrest an innocent Gary McHale instead of the perpetrators. It was outrageous. Not once in the 5+ years that I have been involved in Caledonia has the OPP arrested a single native person for breach of the peace despite their outrageous behaviour towards us and towards officers. You only arrest non-natives. This is no accident, this can only be the result of illegal, top-down orders.
I don’t think you understand just how distressing it is to this former soldier who once wore my country’s uniform to know that the guardians of the rule of law in my country believe it is acceptable to follow orders that allow a particular race of people to assault them without consequence. No one should be allowed to lay their hands on a police officer. It disgusts me, and it frightens me to think of where your example will lead in the long run if it goes unopposed.
You have taught us for 5 years that you cannot be trusted to protect us from the radicals. You have taught us that you will make sure the radicals know our plans and will be enabled by you to interfere with our rights.You have taught us that we, as victims, will be arrested despite having committed no crime. You have taught us that police officers can be assaulted and threatened without consequence – so long as the perpetrators have the ‘correct’ DNA in their bloodstream.
You have taught us that the only way for us to freely exercise our right to demand an end to the racist policies you follow is not to tell you our plans.
4. Having said this, if you were to notify me in writing that the OPP are aware of specific threats against our safety that are so serious that the force is incapable of protecting us while we exercise our right to walk down a road, then I would certainly discuss that with Gary and consider notifying the public of the extreme danger posed by the occupiers and their supporters.
5. From my perspective these protests will continue and become more frequent until the OPP, the Ontario government and Six Nations make the inevitable decision to help promote truth and reconciliation by admitting what they did in Caledonia was wrong, apologize for it and institute policy changes to prevent it from happening again. Until that happens we are stuck in a dance with an emperor with no clothes: you will continue to pretend you did/are doing nothing wrong and we will continue to go to jail. For as long as it takes. We have no time limits for this struggle. It will continue until racial policing is dead.
6. When you get serious about ending racial policing I’m ready to help any way I can. In the meantime, I regret that I cannot disclose anything about this rally to you. Please feel free to contact Gary to see if he is willing to do so.
Thank you for listening.
The picture below is of Jeff Parkinson (L) and me after our release from custody on April 21/12:
Not ‘sufficient evidence’ to charge the man who assaulted me
I filed a complaint with the OPP after my release about the assault. Later that night there was a message from the detective who informed me he had interviewed the officers and found there was “insufficient evidence” to lay a charge against my attacker.
OPP make arrests for assaults on officers Feb 18/12
On April 24th, 5 days after I expressed my disgust at their willingness to allow native thugs to assault police officers, the OPP announced the arrest of some of those who had allegedly assaulted them on Feb 18/12.
- OPP news release, April 24/12: Three charged during altercation
- VoiceofCanada, Feb 19/12: McHale arrested in Caledonia because Native man assaults 77 year old former Navy vet/UN peacekeeper & OPP officers
- VoiceofCanada, Feb 22/12: Jerry Agar, CFRB/SUN TV: ‘Caledonia is a festering boil of racist policy’ that discriminates against Whites, Blacks, Jews, etc.
- VoiceofCanada, Feb 22/12: David Strutt photos: Caledonia 8 make history on Douglas Creek Estates in Caledonia
That day they had released the attackers and then arrested Gary McHale despite him having committed no crime. (They also made an historic arrest of a native woman who attempted to attack Gary McHale with a pipe. Her name is also included in the OPP release even though she was arrested at the time of the crime while on DCE.)
It’s rather amusing, but very illustrative, to read the news release and realize that the OPP deliberately misled the public by not mentioning that the assaults against their officers occurred on the Douglas Creek Estates occupation site.
I am not naive enough to believe that the OPP suddenly made arrests because my email shamed them into it; rather, I suspect that they were timed to send a message to CUPE 3903′s Tom Keefer and native militants about their planned takeover of Caledonia’s streets tomorrow by his Marxist, unionist, anarchist, anti-Israel, anti-capitalist fellow travellers.
So, we move forward two steps, and back one, but the struggle to end racial policing continues forward to its inevitable conclusion.
- HelplessByBlatchford feature: ‘Caledonia: No More Nightmares’