[Fred] Litwin said he’s almost grateful for the Iranian embassy’s intervention because it generated buzz for Iranium the film wouldn’t have otherwise received. ”I think I should give them some fine Israeli wine as a gift, Litwin quipped.
Sunmedia/The Sault Star, Feb 07/11: Delayed screening takes place in Ottawa
Thanks to the interference of the Iranian Embassy and the bureaucrats at Library and Archives Canada who caved in to Iranian pressure to cancel the film showing, which was then followed by a strong defence of Litwin’s right to show the film and a dressing down for the Iranians by Heritage Minister James Moore, the screening of the anti-Iran movie Iranium was sold out last night. Moore himself, as promised, attended the screening to make sure his message was not lost on the Iranians.
Demand for tickets was so high, in fact, that Fred Litwin, founder of the Free Thinking Film Society, posted a notice on the organization’s website announcing that people could line up on standby for tickets reserved for people who didn’t show up.
Some fine Israeli wine for the Iranian embassy?
Sunmedia reporter Jessica Murphy’s story included Litwin’s tongue-in-cheek expression of gratitude to the Iranians for helping promote Iranium: “I think I should give them some fine Israeli wine as a gift, ” a comment he made a few weeks ago to me in his response to my email suggesting that he send the Iranian embassy a thank you card for all their help.
- Sunmedia/The Sault Star, Feb 07/11: Delayed screening takes place in Ottawa
Let’s say thanks to the nice folks at the Iranian embassy!
Anyone who would like to send the Iranian Embassy a bottle of Israel’s finest can source it at one of these links:
- LCBO.com: Search results – ‘Israel Wine’ (53 results)
- KosherWine.com: Yatir Forest 2006, $98.99 (they deserve it!) [LINK]
…and deliver it here:
Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran
245 Metcalfe St.
Ottawa, ON K2P 2K2
OR, you can send a thank you note via email here (be polite!) to those helpful embassy folks here.
- Iranian Embassy: email@example.com
I took the inexpensive route via this email:
SUBJECT: Thank you for your assistance
Fred Litwin, Free Thinking Films
James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage & Official Languages
Congratulations to Fred Litwin and all his sponsors and volunteers at the Free Thinking Film Society. Thank you Minister James Moore for making it happen and for attending to show support. Last night was a good night for free speech, and you should all be very proud that the Iranium show was such a success.
The similarities of the terrific, wholly unintended results of the Iranian intimidation with those arising from the intimidation of Christie Blatchford’s appearance at the University of Waterloo simply warms the heart. Not only did the Blatchford incident result in a near-sellout it spurred sales across Canada to the point that Doubleday had to order a reprint of Helpless:
HelplessByBlatchford, Dec 11/10: University of Waterloo takes a stand for free speech and Christie Blatchford’s Caledonia story
You’d think the enemies of free speech would learn from their mistakes, wouldn’t you? Well, one thing I’ve learned over the past five years – you can almost always count on people driven by hate, greed or blind ignorance to do the wrong thing. This of course, creates wonderful opportunities for the rest of us to get our own message out as evidenced by the line up for Iranium last evening.
P.S. Speaking about free speech, it looks like the British Prime Minister David Cameron is getting the message that ordinary British citizens aren’t going to sit still while the government enables Muslim extremists and silences opposition to their hateful ideology:
- UK Prime Minister’s office, Feb 05/11: PM’s speech at Munich Security Conference
- The Telegraph, Feb 04/11: The days of doing deals with Muslim extremists are over
- London Free Press (Canada), Feb 05/11: Multiculturalism has failed in Britain: Cameron [PDF]
- Moose & Squirrel, Feb 06/11: EDL Luton March
- ITN News video, posted Feb 05/11: PM blames multiculturalism for Islamic extremism (h/t Blazing Cat Fur)
- VoiceofCanada, Jan 21/11: Free Thinking Film Society: Iranium WILL be shown Feb 6th thanks to Heritage Minister James Moore
- CBC, Jan 19/11: Show will go on [9:12] Watch on YouTube: [LINK] (tough-talking Heritage Minister James Moore says foreign gov’ts don’t dictate which movies will be shown in Canada)
- VoiceofCanada, Jan 18/11: Suspicious package, threats shut down screening of Iranium movie after Iranian embassy complains
- Free Thinking Films: News – Iranium
Iranium movie site: http://www.iraniummovie.com/
- Moose & Squirrel, Feb 07/11: Let’s all thank the Iranian embassy for the Iranium movie sell-out
Mark Vandermaas, Editor